The high I’m talking about doesn’t come in a bottle and you don’t need a prescription from a doctor to get it. It’s totally legal and absolutely free.
It’s this brand new, revolutionary thing called……drumroll please…….EXERCISE!!!
Did you know that when you exercise, the brain releases endorphins? And what exactly are endorphins you may ask? I’ll tell you. They are the body’s own natural painkillers that produce feelings of euphoria. But be warned: they are habit forming!!
Scientists actually discovered this information when they were conducting studies on drug addiction in the 1970s. They found that the brain produced chemicals that FAR EXCEED the strength of opium, morphine or even heroin. Aren’t our bodies amazing?!
The body releases endorphins during stressful times and in response to regular physical activity. That’s why someone involved in a life-threatening accident often doesn’t feel any pain. And I’m sure you’ve heard of athletes who claim to feel “great” after a strenuous workout. This is because of the effects of the natural brain chemicals. And then they become almost “addicted” because of the natural high they experience.
Now, while there are plenty of gyms to join and health clubs to frequent – there might be the temptation to say, “Well, I can’t exercise because I can’t afford a gym membership.” This can be a problem for some people. That’s why I like to point out the plethora of ways to exercise that are free!!!
- Cycling (Don’t have a bike? Borrow your friend’s. Surely you know SOMEONE on the planet who owns a bike!)
- Walking (This only requires legs and shoes)
- Running (Same as above)
- Swimming (Same as above, plus arms, oh and water of course)
- Hiking (Find a mountain, a hill or some sort of incline and climb up it!)
- Youtube has tons of workout videos in all types of categories.
- Dance (Turn on the radio and boogie!)